Disable Live Blend Mode Preview in Adobe Photoshop CC
Live blend mode preview was introduced in Photoshop CC 2019 or 20.0 version. It is one of the most useful features introduced in recent versions. Just to remind you that live blend mode allows you to preview blend mode applied with mouse hover or by cycling using keyboard shortcuts. However, there are situations where you may want to disable this feature and work in a traditional and well-established manner: choose blend mode then preview the result.
In this tutorial, I will explain to you how to manually disable live blend mode preview in Photoshop 20.0 version and later. You will need a simple text editor like Notepad to accomplish this task.
Why and how to disable live blend mode previewLet me mention a couple of reasons why you may want to disable this incredibly useful feature:
- Live blend mode preview is slowing down your process because of huge file dimensions or your configuration.
- Because you know exactly which blend mode you want to use and you do not need a live preview.
- Because you want to compare two blend modes and you do not want to see anything in between what is a bit tricky with live blend mode preview.
- Because of physical problems like sensory disability.
Manually disable live bend mode previewFor now, we do not have any button or option in Photoshop's preferences dialog to disable live blend mode preview. And, by the way, turning Legacy Compositing on will not do the job. The only known way in the moment of writing this post is to manually disable live blend mode preview and to save plain text (.txt) file "PSUserConfig.txt" in the Photoshop settings folder.
Here are the steps:
- Open text editor like Notepad on Windows machine or a text editor if you are Macintosh user.
- Type single line of text: LiveBlendModes 0
- Save the file with the name PSUserConfig.txt in the following location:
- Windows: (Installation Drive)\Users\(Your User Name)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
- macOS: //Users/(Your User Name)/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/
Relaunch Photoshop if it is running and enjoy your new user configuration.
Give it a try if you need to disable live blend mode because it is really no big deal to create and save the plain text file. You have done that many times before it is just a difference in the location where to save file, nothing else.
Photoshop: Option to disable live preview of layer blending modes