Couple of Ways to Open a Single File in Photoshop
Adobe Photoshop is a versatile tool which can open many file formats including video and 3D files. There are a couple of commands and ways to open single file in Photoshop. In this post, I will cover a common and lesser known ways to open any supported file format in Photoshop from Photoshop window but also and from Adobe Bridge, Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom.
How to open supported file format in PhotoshopAdobe Photoshop is capable to open still images, 3D and video files. Here is the list with all supported file formats.
Open still imagesHere are a couple of ways to open a single still image (graphics and continuous tone images) in Photoshop.
Open file from Photoshop:
- File > Open. Note: when opening RAW or PDF file there will be dialog to specify settings before opening file.
- File > Open As.
- File > Open as Smart Object.
- File > Open Recent.
- Click on recent file thumbnail/name in the Home screen (newer versions of Photoshop).
- Drag and drop from Explorer or Finder.
Open file in Photoshop from Adobe Bridge:
- Double click on the thumbnail to open associated file types in Photoshop.
- Drag file from Bridge onto Photoshop window if you have applications side by side.
- Right click on the thumbnail and choose Open With > Adobe Photoshop (version).
- Select thumbnail(s) then go to File > Open With > Adobe Photoshop (version).
- File > Open Recent.
|One of the ways to open file from Bridge in Adobe Photoshop is to use right-click or context menu > Open With > Adobe Photoshop (version).|
Open file from Adobe Camera Raw:
- Click on the Open Image button.
- Press and hold Alt/Opt to Open Copy (button Open Image will become Open Copy) without updating image metadata. This option will respect/apply changes made in ACR but will not write them back in original file open in ACR.
- Press and hold Shift then click Open Object button (button Open Image will become Open Object) to Open image as Smart Object in Photoshop.
|To open image from Camera Raw in Photoshop click on Open Image button.|
Open file from Lightroom Classic CCSelect photo then right click (or use Photo > Edit In) and choose: Edit In > Edit in Adobe Photoshop or Open as Smart Object in Photoshop.
|To open fie from Lightroom in Photoshop use right-click or context menu > Edit In > Edit in Adobe Photoshop (version).|
Open video fileTo open supported video file use File > Open command.
To open a video file and convert it to frame animation use File > Import > Video Frames to Layers. Here is my tutorial how to convert video to frame animation.
Open 3D fileTo open supported 3D file use File > Open command.
Create, open, and import images
Import video files and image sequences
Essential 3D concepts and tools