Face-Aware Liquify in Adobe Photoshop CC
In newer versions of Photoshop CC, we have a nice addition to Liquify filter: Face-Aware Liquify which is great for portrait retouching but also and for fun to quickly create caricatures, for example.
The advantage of Face-Aware Liquify enhancement in Photoshop CCFace-Aware Liquify is introduced in Photoshop CC 2015.5 release. The advantage of this enhancement to Liquify filter is automatic detection of facial features what makes so much easier to adjust them. New technology can recognize multiple faces on photo what makes it even cooler and more usable for group shots. With small adjustments, you can make any face more beautiful and more attractive. It is a matter of seconds to add a more beautiful smile to any face or to adjust any other feature like width and height of eye(s) head, nose and so on.
Before/after using Face-Aware Liquify filter in Photoshop. Areas adjusted:
There are some prerequisite to successfully use Face-Aware Liquify in Photoshop. Option Use Graphic Processor must be enabled in Edit > Preferences > Performance.
How to access and use Face-Aware Liquify in Photoshop CC
Here are the steps with optional but recommended step to convert layer to Smart Object layer which will give you additional flexibility to change adjustments at any time even after closing and re-opening document.
- Select layer in the Layers panel.
- Optionally right click and choose Convert to Smart Object. Another way is to use Filter > Convert for Smart Filters.
- Go to Filter > Liquify.
- If it is not active, activate Face Tool (A). By default Show Face Overlay is turned on so you should see initial overlay and when hovering mouse over the face. You have two options to work with facial features:
- Navigate mouse over the face to see controls for different facial parts like eye, mouth, nose...
- Another way is to use drop-down Select Face to choose with which face you want to work then use sliders inside sections Eyes, Nose, Mouth... to adjust the width, height, tilt...
- Pres letter P on your keyboard to preview before/after while working inside Liquify filter window.
- If you want to reset adjustments for current face click on Reset button on the right side of Select Face drop-down list. To reset adjustments for all faces click on All button.
- When you are satisfied with the result click on OK button in the lower right corner to confirm and exit.
- If you have followed instructions to convert layer(s) to Smart Object then you can hide filter by clicking on eyeball on the left side of Liquify below Smart Object layer. To modify adjustments double click on Liquify letters to open Liquify window where you can continue working to add, modify or to remove adjustments.
Product used in this tutorial:
Adobe Photoshop CC 2018
Use the Liquify filter