How to Create GIF Animation From Video in Photoshop (Video)
Adobe Photoshop is a great tool to create GIF animation. One of the conveniences that Photoshop offers is the ability to automatically convert a video file (frames) to animation frames with all flexibility that this program offers.
In this tutorial, I will explain to you how to use Photoshop's built-in feature to quickly and easily create GIF animation from video file.
Create GIF animation from videoBefore we proceed let me mention that you can use several video formats to convert them to GIF animation. Here is the list of supported video formats. Most of the time I am using .mp4 format but I have also tested with the .mov file while writing this post and everything works just fine.
The trick to automatically convert video to frame animation is to not open the video in Photoshop but instead to use Import > Video Frames to Layers... Here are the steps:
- Go to File > Import > Video Frames to Layers...
- Navigate to video file and double click on it or select video file then click on Open button.
- In Import Video To Layers dialog, you can preview video, to select portion of video which you want to convert to animation and to limit to every x frames. Do not forget to check Make Frame Animation option!
- Click OK button and wait a second.
- Makes changes as necessary. Photoshop offers lots of options to work with layers and animation frames. You can, for example, move frames, delete frames, rearrange frames, to paint on the frame (layer), to add additional frames and so on...
- Go to File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy) or just Save for Web if you are using an older version.
- In Save for Web dialog choose GIF for file format and make changes as necessary. You can choose a color palette, a number of colors, specify the dither algorithm, change dimensions, preview animation in the browser....
- Lastly, click on Save... button and save animation.
Video tutorialHere is a video with steps to convert video file to GIF animation. If you have any question or doubt, please do not hesitate to leave comments.
Product used in this tutorial:
Adobe Photoshop CC 2018
Create frame animations