Select, Align and Distribute Multiple Artboards in Illustrator CC 2018
There are a couple of enhancements to work with artboards in Illustrator CC 2018. Starting with October 2017 release we can easily select multiple artboards. Another enhancement is the ability to align and distribute artboards what can be very helpful when multiple artboards are present in the document.
Select, align and distribute artboardsLet's start with the selection. There are a couple of ways to select artboards.
Four ways to select multiple artboards in Illustrator
- With Artboard Tool active (Shift + O) press Ctrl/Cmd + A to select all artboards in your document.
- Activate Artboard Tool then Shift + click the artboards which you want to select.
- Activate Artboard Tool then hold down Shift and drag a marquee over the artboards which you want to select.
- You can also select multiple artboards using Window > Artboards panel. Do not forget to activate Artboard Tool to be able to move, align, distribute artboards from the new Properties panel. Click on artboard name then hold down Ctrl/Cmd and click on other artboards which you want to add to the selection. To select range of artboards click on artboard name in the Artboards panel then hold down Shift and click on the last artboard which should be in range.
|Select artboards using Shift plus drag marquee over artboards which you want to select or to add to selection|
How to deselect artboards
If you know how to select artboards then the next question should be: how to deselect artboards? There are also a couple of ways to deselect artboards.
- With Artboard Tool active click anywhere on posterboard (outside of any artboard) to deselect artboards.
- With Artboard Tool active click on artboard which you want to select while other selected artboards will be deselected.
- Use Window > Artboards panel: click below listed artboards in empty space to deselect all selected artboards. You can also click on any artboard which you want to select while all other artboards will be deselected.
|To deselect all selected artboards while ARtboard Tool is active simply click anywhere on pasteboard outside of any artboard|
How to say which artboards are selected
You can say which artboards are selected by looking at a rectangle with artboard name which has the bluish background or by looking at Window > Artboards panel where selected artboards have a blue highlight.
Activate Artboard Tool then select at least two artboards to see Align options in the Properties panel. Click on any of 6 alignment icons to align selected artboards. You can also use Window > Align panel.
How to align artboards
|To align selected artboards use alignment icons from the Properties panel under Align section. At least two artboards must be selected and Artboard Tool active to see artboard alignment options.|
How to distribute artboardsActivate Artboard Tool and select all artboards that you want to distribute. Click on three dots (More Options) below alignment icons to see a pop-up with Distribute Objects section in the middle. Click on any of 6 available distribution icons. You can also use Window > Align panel.
Move Artwork with ArtboardWhen Artboard Tool is active you will see and Move Artwork with Artboard option. Usually, you will keep this option checked. This option will pin artwork to artboard when moving artboard(s) manually or by dragging them. Otherwise, the artwork will be tied to artboard when using alignment and distribution options even if this option is unchecked.
|Move Artwork with Artboard option will keep pinned artwork on artboard on which is created.|
Product used in this tutorial:
Adobe Illustrator CC 2018
New features summary