How to Move Items Between Layers in Adobe Illustrator
Layers in Adobe Illustrator gives us the ability to easily manage all items which are parts of the artwork. This is especially important when creating complex artworks or complex objects with lots of details.
Why use Layers in IllustratorYou should always use layers for the following reasons:
- It is easy to "read" document or artwork
- It is easy to find item which you want to change or modify
- It is easy to arrange, select, lock, hide and move items
- Layers can be exchanged with Adobe Photoshop
- Document looks clean and professional
Selecting itemsYou can select items (objects) using various tools like Selection, Direct Selection Tool , Lasso Tool and so on.
To select content of particular layer click on circle on the right side of layer. You can also click in the top right corner of the layer in the Layers panel or hold down Alt/Opt and click on the layer.
How to move items between LayersThere are a couple of ways to move and duplicate items between layers in the same/different document:
- Select items then click on desired layer where you want to move items. Use: Object > Arrange > Send to Current Layer
- Select items and drag square on the right side of the layer in the Layers panel onto different layer
- Alt/Opt-drag square on the right side of the layer in the Layers panel onto different layer to duplicate item(s)
- Use Edit > Cut or Copy to cut/copy selected items then select layer to which you want to paste and use Edit > Paste, Paste in Front, Paste in Back or Paste in Place. Note: to paste only items without layers ensure that Paste Remembers Layers is turned off (unchecked)
To move items between documents use Edit > Copy or Cut command. If you want to paste and layers along with items then check: Paste Remembers Layers from the Layers panel menu.
Product used in this tutorial:
Adobe Illustrator CC 2017