Cropping Images in Illustrator CC 2017 (and Later)
Starting with April 2017 update for Illustrator CC 2017 we have the ability to crop linked and embedded images.
How to crop an image in Illustrator CC 2017Before we proceed I want to mention a couple of things to bear in mind:
- You can not recover cropped portion which will be permanently discarded (you can still use Undo, of course).
- When working with linked images Illustrator will prompt you to embed image after cropping it so linked file will remain unaffected with crop done in Illustrator.
Steps to crop an imageTypically you will use File > Place command to place an image in Illustrator document. Everything works exactly the same if you drag the image into Illustrator document or when placing images from Libraries panel.
- Select the image using Selection tool (V) then use one of the following options which work only with one image selected:
- Right click and choose: Crop Image
- Click on Crop Image button in the Control panel
- Go to Object > Crop Image
Product used in this tutorial:
Adobe Illustrator CC 2017